Your website is one of your most important mediums that can be used to reach new customers and generate more sales. By using the correct keywords, will improve its find-ability. Major search engines like Google, Yahoo! and Bing like this and primarily will help boost your site ranking, resulting in future sales for your business.
The following 6 tips that you can do to your website which should have a positive effect on your search engine rankings.
- Title tag – This is the tag you see at the top left of your internet browser and is still one of the critical ranking factors for your website. It is likely to be the clickable text that appears in search results. For best results use your brand name and natural keywords, but keep it within 65 characters.
- Optimise URLs – For example if you were selling cars, instead of using a link that looked like xyz.com/buycars.html, a better option would be xyz.com/buy-cars-sydney. Keep your URLs keyword rich and describe what people should find on the page. Also, use a hyphen or dash to separate words and keep URLs to less than 100 characters.
- H1 tags – Make sure you have one H1 (heading) tag on each of your pages.
- Alt image tags – image tags are important for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) because they reinforce the relevance of the text content on the page and also have a chance to rank in Google’s Image Search.
- Have Quality content. Make your content original and meaningful.
- Keyword rich content – One thing that has not changed is making sure your content contains your keywords. Ensure your content sounds natural and reads well, but not as if the keywords were just placed there to rank highly. So in summary
- Create useful, unique content
- Use the right keywords in your content
- Ensure your page title contains keywords
- Position keywords close to the start of the page title
- Use keywords in the main heading
- Use keywords in the link text
- Use keywords in the file name of your page
- Use keywords in the metadata description
- Keyword Planner is a free AdWords tool – https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner
Other Tips to Improve your Site’s Rankings (SEO)
- Update your content regularly – You’ve probably noticed that we feel pretty strongly about content. Search engines do, too. Regularly updated content is viewed as one of the best indicators of a site’s relevancy, so be sure to keep it fresh.
- Create backlinks to your website. Backlinks will remain a very important role in Google ranking factor. Create accounts with extenal agencies such as any organisation you may belong to.
- Encourage external Inbound Links. Social media (such as Facebook, Twitter) is also useful because it encourages more external sites to link to your content, and the more diverse external links you have, the more authority you’ll gain in Google’s eyes.
- Register with recognised Australian Free Website directories.
- Register with Yellowpages.com.au and link back to your website. Fee may apply.
- Register with Truelocal.com.au.and link back to your website. Fee may apply.
- Register with suburb specific directories and link back to your website.
- Purchase Google Adwords. Target your ads to customers in certain areas for your business.
- Create YouTube videos and embed them into your web page/s.